The Russian Defense Ministry has transferred anti-air systems to the Khmeimim airbase, the newspaper Kommersant writes, citing a source. According to Kommersant, after the US-led coalition’s previous strike, a Tor-M2 missile system battery has been deployed at the Russian airbase, in addition to the previously deployed anti-air defense systems.
In addition, the flotilla of Russian warships in the Mediterranean Sea has also been enlarged. On August 25, the frigates Admiral Grigorovich and Admiral Essen from the Black Sea Fleet left Sevastopol in order to reinforce the naval units in the Mediterranean. The ships conducted military drills during the transition journey. On August 16, one of the Black Sea Fleet’s small missile boats, Vyshny Volochyok, also made the trip from Sevastopol to the Mediterranean. The boat is equipped with Kalibr cruise missiles. On August 11, ships from Russia’s North Fleet entered the Mediterranean for the first time this year – the large anti-submarine ship Severomorsk and the missile cruiser Marshal Ustinov.
On Monday, August 27, Russian Defense Ministry official spokesman Igor Konashenkov said that the American destroyer USS “Ross”, armed with Tomahawk cruise missiles, had entered the Mediterranean. The destroyer USS The Sullivans, armed with 56 Tomahawks, is in the Persian Gulf.
The Russian military department claims that the militants in Syria will soon attempt to stage a chemical attack. The “provocation” will justify another strike by the US, UK and France against Syria, the Russian Defense Ministry believes. Washington, on the other hand, says that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s troops are preparing to use chemical weapons. The US promises to retaliate against Syria if this happens.
During the chemical attacks in Eastern Ghouta in April 2018, the Russian Defense Ministry also called it “provocation”, whereas the US said that government forces were behind the use of chemical weapons.