So-called DPR claims to have thwarted assassination attempt on their leader
The Ministry of State Security of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) said that they had prevented an assassination attempt on the leader of the "republic", Oleksandr Zakharchenko, Interfax reported.
"On April 28, 2016, as a result of operative-investigative measures, the staff of the Ministry of State Security detained a group of Ukrainian citizens who had arrived from the territory controlled by Kiev. They had a powerful explosive device with them disguised as a piece of furniture," a statement issued by the so-called DPR said.
It is noted that the saboteurs had studied the routes of Zakharchenko and his places of permanent residence. The attack allegedly was going to happen when Zakharchenko visited the missile complex Artemida in Donetsk. "Now everyone involved in these plans has been detained," the Ministry of State Security of the so-called DPR stated.
The Press Service of the Head of the self-declared republic confirmed the attempt.
"The media will receive all comments and details during a press conference on April 29, 2016," the Press Service of Zakharchenko reported.
There was reportedly another assassination attempt on Zakharchenko in Donetsk in August of last year.