The number of bombings and shootings in the Donbas is now the highest since the beginning of the year, according to the Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) of the OSCE.
“Last week the amount of ceasefire violations documented by the OSCE-SMM was 160% greater than what had been documented before. It is the largest number of attacks since the beginning of the year,” said the principal deputy chief monitor of the OSCE-SMM to Ukraine, Alexander Hug, at a briefing, Interfax-Ukraine reports.
He also noted that the majority of violations (3,444) were shellings from mortars, tanks, anti-aircraft systems and artillery. “Let’s note that most of these explosions are not just statistics; the majority of these violations are taking place around densely populated areas. […] Mass violence is occurring near Mariupol, close to Marinka and Popasna,” Hug reported.
During the last week, observers from the OSCE-SMM registered twice as many deaths among the local population as compared to the previous week.
“The figures show an increase in violence. It is necessary to stop this, to make important steps, one of which is a full implementation of the framework agreement of the trilateral contact group regarding the withdrawal of forces and means of September 21,” the deputy head of the OSCE-SMM noted.
Hug said that the withdrawal of forces and means provided for in Petrovske and Zolote, really works. “Our observers have not detected any ceasefire violations there,” he informed.
He stated that no success has yet been made in the withdrawal of forces from the village of Stanytsia Luhanska. The withdrawal near this village was suspended because of the continued shelling of Ukrainian military positions by separatists.