Contents tagged with Montenegro
Montenegrin prosecutors suspect that the head of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov, campaigned for the leaders of the Montenegrin Muslim community to cooperate with the pro-Russian Democratic Front party, which, in their opinion, should lead to a change of power in the country, reported the Russian publication Izvestia.
Podgorica believes that a criminal group including Russian nationalists planned a coup involving the assassination of Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic during the parliamentary elections …
Montenegrin citizen Ananije Nikić, accused in his home country of involvement in an attempted coup d'état in October 2016, has been granted political asylum in Russia, reported the Montenegrin news outlet Pobjeda with reference to the Montenegrin Ministry of Justice. The article also notes that Montenegro was notified of the decision by the Russian Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO).
Nikić was placed on the wanted list following an unsuccessful attempted coup in Montenegro. The investigation …
The authorities of Montenegro want Montenegrin soldiers to join the NATO battalion battle group in Poland, as stated by the Polish Minister of Defense, Antoni Macierewicz after a meeting with his Montenegrin counterpart Predrag Bošković, Radio Poland reported.
"On the eastern flank of NATO every soldier is worth his weight in gold. We are grateful to Montenegro for the succession of actions. I was glad to receive the news that Montenegro will send its soldiers to Poland. The opportunity to …
Balkan Insight reports that Montenegro has resumed proceedings on the case of the attempted coup in 2016. Previously Russians had been accused of being involved in this attempt.
The prosecutor's office has now released evidence that the attempted removal of authorities in the country was done under the guidance of two Russian intelligence officers who coordinated the actions of the putschists (coup plotters) from neighboring Serbia. However, the newspaper did not specify what type of evidence …
During his visit to Podgorica, US Vice President Mike Pence has accused Russia of last year's attempted coup in Montenegro and attempting to destabilize the Western Balkans, reports the news agency RTCG.
"In these times…we must stand together in defense of all that we hold dear…Here, in Europe, we must be resolute and uncompromising in the face of aggression from an unpredictable country that casts a shadow from the east," Pence noted.
According to Pence, Russia is trying to reshape …
Montenegro has declared NATO's reluctance to deploy military bases on the territory of the country.
"According to my information, at the moment the alliance has no initiative to create a military base in Montenegro. We would not be against it, but NATO is currently showing more interest in other regions," said Defense Ministry chief Predrag Boskovic, RBC reports.
Montenegro officially became the 29th member of NATO on June 5. The Russian Foreign Ministry has said that Moscow reserves the …
Against the background of the formal completion of the procedure for Montenegro's entry into NATO, Moscow reserves the right to retaliate in relation to Podgorica’s hostile actions, as stated in comments by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, which were posted on the department’s website.
"The continuing anti-Russian hysteria in Montenegro causes us only regrets. In light of the hostile line of Montenegrin authorities, the Russian side reserves the right to take …
Montenegrin authorities have banned 149 citizens of Russia and Ukraine from entering the country and possessing property because of their involvement in the annexation of the Crimea and the war in the Donbas, B92 news outlet reports.
The list of citizens who are banned from entering Montenegro was formulated on the basis of the European Council’s ruling.
“Montenegro is restricting the entry and management of property and assets of the people who bear responsibility for actively supporting the …
Montenegrin Prime Minister Duško Marković, former head of state and leader of the Democratic Party of Socialists Milo Đukanović, parliament spokesperson Ivan Brajović and a number of other Montenegrin politicians were placed on the Russian sanctions list. This was reported by the newspaper Pravda with reference to a source in the republic’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The restrictive measures were introduced against a total of 70 people, 46 of them being members of the Montenegrin parliament. …
The ban on the entry of a Deputy from the ruling Montenegrin party, Miodrag Vuković, into Russia, is connected with EU sanctions, as stated by the official representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Maria Zakharova, the press service of the ministry reports.
"It's not a secret that Montenegro joined the anti-Russian sanctions of the EU from the very beginning, including sanctions against individuals. We have always said that we reserve the right to take …