• Scholz rejects Zelensky's plea to expand Western arms use against Russia

    German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has rejected Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's call to lift restrictions on the use of Western arms, reports Bild.

    During the NATO summit in Washington, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky urged Western nations to remove any restrictions on the use of Western weapons against Russia.

    "If we want to win and preserve our country, all restrictions must be lifted. If Russia attacked us and killed our children, it is madness that we are not allowed to strike …

  • Baltic states to end Russian energy grid reliance by 2025

    The Baltic states are prepared to notify Russia of their complete disconnection from its energy system, with no plans to extend the existing cooperation contract.

    Countries in the Baltic region are nearing the final stages of synchronisation with the Continental European Power System. By February 2025, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia are expected to join ENTSO-E. This announcement came from the energy ministers of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, according to a statement from Lithuania's …

  • Latvian court sentences pro-Kremlin activist to three years for justifying Russian war crimes in Ukraine

    A woman in Latvia has been sentenced to three years in prison for justifying Russian war crimes, according to reports.

    The Riga City Court handed down the sentence after finding her guilty of glorifying Russian aggression.

    The woman in question is Elena Kreyle, who is described by media outlets as a pro-Kremlin activist.

    Kreyle is accused of publicly justifying Russia's war crimes in Ukraine, as well as genocide, crimes against humanity, peace crimes, and war crimes committed by the USSR in …

  • Sweden clarifies why Ukraine chose F-16 jets over Gripen: challenges of managing dual fighter systems

    Ukrainian authorities have concluded that implementing two Western fighter jet systems, the F-16 and the Gripen, in the Ukrainian Armed Forces at the same time is extremely challenging.

    Sweden's Foreign Minister Tobias Billström stated that Stockholm was ready to transfer its Gripen fighter jets to Ukraine, but Kyiv decided to hold off on this idea due to the receipt of the F-16 jets. In an interview with Voice of America, Billström explained that dealing with two complex systems …

  • Yuan dominates Moscow Exchange as US sanctions reshape Russian currency market

    Following the imposition of US sanctions, the Moscow Exchange has effectively become an exchange point where the Chinese yuan is the primary currency, reports The Moscow Times.

    According to the Central Bank of Russia, the yuan now accounts for 99.6% of the currency trading market. The remaining 0.4% comprises friendly currencies like the Belarusian ruble and the Kazakhstani tenge.

    Before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the yuan constituted only 3.5% of currency transactions on the Moscow …