The Kremlin declined to comment on bombing of UN aid convoy in Syria
Russian or Syrian aircraft bombed aid trucks near the rebel-held town of Urm al-Kubra west of Aleppo on Monday, killing twelve people, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Reuters reported.
The United Nations had announced earlier on Monday that aid including food and health supplies for 78,000 people was to be delivered to Urm al-Kubra.
The UN and the Red Cross confirmed that the aid convoy had been hit.
"We are deeply shocked that humanitarian workers and missions have yet again suffered from the brutality of this conflict," the Red Cross told Reuters.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov declined to comment on the reports.
"I do not think it is possible and proper to make any unsubstantiated conclusions at the moment about this bombing… I hope they [the Russian military] have already received first-hand information and will be able to make a corresponding statement," Peskov said, as quoted by RBC.
The US State Department said that Moscow bears ultimate responsibility for the incident.
State Department spokesman John Kirby stated that Washington will reassess the prospects for cooperation with Russia in Syria after the bombing of the convoy.
The incident comes several days after the US-led coalition bombed Syrian government troops who were engaged in combat against members of the so-called Islamic State, killing at least 62 soldiers. The US said the bombing of Syrian positions was accidental, but Moscow and Damascus have called it an intentional act.