Shortly before the USA and its allies sent missile strikes against Syria, Russia identified areas of the Arab Republic considered to be “the red lines” for Russia, stated the Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sergei Lavrov.
“Even before the plans of the attack of ‘the Western three’ [the USA, Great Britain, France] started to materialize, the Russian Chief of General Staff, Valery Gerasimov, said clearly that if combat actions of the so-called ‘coalition’ harm Russian servicemen, we will respond strongly and determinedly,” RIA Novosti reports, citing Lavrov as say. “It was said clearly and unequivocally.”
Following the statement made by Gerasimov, Lavrov mentioned that there were contacts between Russian and American Coalition representatives. “They were informed of where our ‘read lines’ are, including such areas ‘on the ground’ geographically,” he stressed. “In any case, the results show that they did not cross these ‘red lines.’
Lavrov believes that Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump will assuredly disallow military confrontation. “Regarding the risks of a confrontation, I believe 100% that the military will not allow this, as well as Presidents Putin and Trump,” he stated. “They are leaders who were elected by their people, and they are responsible to their people for providing peace and tranquility.”
The operation in Syria was a response to the Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons against civilians. The most recent attack on April 7 claimed the lives of at least 70 people, mostly women and children.
The World Health Organization confirmed that Assad’s forces had used chemical weapons in Douma. It also cited unconfirmed information from volunteers concerning the deaths of 70 people who took refuge from the bombardment in basements.
Russia condemned the attack against Syria by the USA, France and Great Britain. Putin called the attack an “act of aggression” and a violation of international law that goes against the United Nations Charter. Lavrov indicated that the missiles were launched under a false pretext.
Air defense weapons of the Russian Federation’s Armed Forces were not involved in last week’s counter strike against Syria.